Community Acupuncture in 2018
Acupuncture is one of the oldest, most common and dependable medical therapies used in the world. It is by nature simple, safe and effective health care. Community Acupuncture increases people’s access to acupuncture by offering individualized treatments in a quiet, comfortable group setting at affordable rates. By lowering the cost of care, we offer people the opportunity to receive treatment as often as needed to get phenomenal results. What are some of the unexpected things you can experience this year when you receive regular acupuncture? Here’s a list!
1. It will make you more grateful.
The driving idea behind acupuncture is that we’re already in possession of everything we need to be well. Acupuncture does not add or subtract anything. Rather, it prompts the body to do what it already knows how to do. It reminds you that you have the power to heal yourself. That’s something to be thankful for!
2. It will make you happier.
Research continues to show that rather than MORE STUFF, having an experience (like travel or being with people you enjoy) makes us happier. In today’s culture, material goods have become substitutes for deep, genuine desires and experience. Acupuncture, particularly community acupuncture, enables us to experience connections without buying stuff.
3. It will lower your stress.
Acupuncture is well known for its ability to lower stress. It takes the edge off by removing you from the perpetual neurological state of sympathetic dominance that so many of us find ourselves. By mellowing out the nervous system, acupuncture helps you feel less affected by and better equipped to manage the stressful aspects of life.
4. It will help you sleep better.
Insomnia is stubborn. Tons of people have it—it’s one of the most common complaints seen by acupuncturists—but for many different reasons. Because acupuncture looks at each patient as an individual, regular treatments can be highly effective for people who haven’t found relief in sleep medications or other one-size-fits-all solutions. For some acupuncture-inspired self-care advice from acupuncturists on how to get rid of insomnia, go here.
5. It will decrease your pain.
When people think about acupuncture and what it can help with, pain is usually the first thing that comes to mind. But acupuncture’s ability to reduce pain goes beyond the physical benefits, such as improved blood flow and the release of pain-relieving endorphins and serotonin. There is a significant emotional component to pain, especially pain that is chronic. Treating pain effectively—that is, treating it in a way that addresses the root causes—requires approaching it holistically. Acupuncture excels at this.
6. It will give you a flatter stomach.
Acupuncture offers a whole new take on why many people suffer from bloating, as well as reflux, constipation, and other digestive disorders. In Chinese medicine the mind and body are inseparable and the idea of digestion refers to food as well as the digestion of thought. From an acupuncture perspective, over thinking, like overeating, can lead to bloating and digestive discomfort. Acupuncture treatments can help reduce bloating. And for self-care tips to stop bloating, go here.
7. It will boost your energy.
Although it’s common to find yourself in “acu land”—a somewhat dazed, blissfully relaxed state—during and immediately following acupuncture treatment, the after effect is usually increased energy. Many people report having more energy in the hours, days and even weeks after acupuncture treatment. You may notice that you’re avoiding that post-lunch coma, feeling more motivated to hit the gym, or just sensing a little extra spring in your step.
8. It will strengthen your immune system.
Acupuncture strengthens natural resistance to disease. Forget endorphins. Forget improved blood circulation. Forget placebo. This is how acupuncture works, by bolstering your reserve and equipping you to fight off pathogens. Acupuncture strengthens the immune system so that you can avoid illness rather than dealing with it after it happens.
9. It will make you look younger.
Acupuncture strengthens your five most essential organ systems—Kidney, Spleen, Liver, Lung, and Heart—so that you are systemically healthier. This can not only make you feel younger, by improving your energy levels, but it can actually prevent physical signs of aging. For details on how acupuncture helps you look younger, go here.
10. It will make you more self-aware.
Acupuncture looks at how root imbalances affect the whole system. This means that when one thing is out of whack, it can affect you in multiple ways. By thinking of yourself as a complex, interconnected system, it becomes easier to understand why you might be feeling unwell. Acupuncture broadens your awareness of the things that can potentially influence your physical and emotional health.
11. It will make you more compassionate.
When you understand yourself better, through self-awareness, you become better at cultivating compassion for others. You’re not the only one who’s a mishmash of interconnected organs and meridians that can at any moment become out of balance, resulting in unexpected reactions. Community acupuncture reminds us that we’re all interconnected—through our environment, with the energies that we put out into the world, and through the ways we choose to recover and repair ourselves.
12. It will improve your skin.
Rashes? Hives? Acne? Prematurely aged skin? Improving digestion, decreasing stress reactions, and boosting your immunity can help your skin look better. Whether it’s autoimmune-based like eczema, driven by hormones like many forms of acne, or furrows at your brow, acupuncture is used by lots of people to not only feel better but LOOK better.
13. It will make you more patient.
Our go-go-go society and the technology we’ve come to rely on has acclimated us to quick fixes. It perpetuates the “I want it now” mentality that dominates most of our worlds. This creates chronic impatience. Acupuncture, because it works but rarely overnight, can help us combat this. Acupuncture is an ongoing process that requires an investment of time and a willingness to let go of our desire for instant gratification. It will make you a more patient person.
14. It will help you put down your phone.
Acupuncture is all about nuance and subtlety. It sharpens your senses and requires you to get in touch with how you’re feeling, physically and emotionally. So much of our addiction to our phones is about our uneasiness with quiet and solitude—what will we discover if we don’t distract ourselves? Acupuncture inspires us to want to listen in the quiet, to pay attention to the things we’ve gotten used to blocking out. For acupuncture-inspired tips to stop compulsive phone checking, go here.
15. It will improve your sex life.
The multifaceted nature of sexuality means that many systems throughout the body play a role, and seemingly unrelated symptoms or habits can influence whether someone has a fulfilling sex life. Acupuncturists, because they are trained to view their patients holistically, are experts at making these connections and restoring balance so that you’re able to fully experience and enjoy sex. To learn more about acupuncture can improve your sex life, go here.
16. It will make you more open-minded.
Acupuncture, although becoming more widely used, is still not the norm. Most doctors, as well as some family, friends, and colleagues, regard mainstream medicine as the only acceptable form of healthcare. Acupuncture requires you to think about health in entirely new ways because it turns mainstream medical tenets on their head. It will remind you that there are multiple ways of seeing the world—and that “popular” doesn’t always equal “right.”
17. It will teach you how to take care of yourself and your family.
Acupuncture is the basis for acupressure, which is a wonderful self-care tool for keeping yourself and your loved ones healthy. Nothing beats routine acupuncture treatments, but for preventive care and in between acupuncture sessions, acupressure can work wonders. For a library of acupressure points for common ailments, go here.
18. It will make you feel more connected and help you live longer and happier.
Loneliness, whether it results from social isolation or exhaustion, has serious consequences on health and longevity. Research by Sarah Pressman, of the University of California, Irvine, corroborates a growing body of research on health and loneliness and demonstrates that while obesity reduces longevity by 20%, drinking by 30%, and smoking by 50%, loneliness reduces longevity by a whopping 70%. In fact, one study suggests that loneliness increases your chance of stroke or coronary heart disease — the leading cause of death in developed countries — by 30%. On the other hand, feelings of social connection can strengthen our immune system, lengthen our life, and lower rates of anxiety and depression.