Telehealth is Healthcare Without Walls
We are committed to providing our patients with personalized, accessible care. Due to COVID, we have expanded the use of technology to help people who need routine care. It is essential to provide support to vulnerable patients, including patients with mild symptoms who are in their homes, while maintaining access to the care they need to recover.
INTEGRATIVE CHINESE FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE
Informing traditional wisdom with evidence-based medicine
Chinese medicine offers a unique approach to health through the use of herbal prescriptions, foods & food supplements, acupuncture, exercise, self-massage/bodywork, and mind-body practices. Chinese medicine is focused on helping our bodies be in “Right Relationship” with the world around us, how to adapt to change and stress and lead full lives, resist disease, and recover quickly and fully. More about Chinese herbal medicine
Functional medicine is a holistic approach within biomedicine that looks at the body in terms of systems and function: it emphasizes non-pharmaceutical treatments, lifestyle modification, supplementation, and testing to monitor progress.
Integrative Chinese Functional Medicine integrates these two approaches. Using modern technologies we can both gather information from lab work and use traditional assessments to help you recover your health and build a healthy immune system. We work together to build your resilience. That’s why it’s said in Chinese Medicine we don’t treat diseases, we treat people. Sometimes we find that symptoms are not symptoms of an active pathogen or disease process, but are symptoms of what the disease damaged, showing which health functions need to be restored. When the body’s function is restored, we handle stress better and bounce back more quickly.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
During your telehealth session, you can be provided with
- Your own individualized care plan creating a roadmap to your recovery and wellbeing
- A natural first aid kit customized for your health and family’s needs: learning what you need and how to use what’s in your kit
- Recipes: food plans based on individualized Chinese Medicine diagnosis and your food preferences
- Herbal formula prescriptions: salves, creams, soaks, teas, tinctures, extracts, pills, concentrated herb granules… there are many ways to use herbal medicines.
- Nutritional supplements: pharmaceutical grade, quality tested
- Functional medicine: looking at how your body functions & why you don’t feel well by using labwork, reviewing your results, and monitoring your progress
- Practical home care
- Manual therapies: learn self-massage, self-acupressure, cupping, foam roller, Gua Sha, and self-moxibustion treatments
- Individualized movement plans: stretches, myofascial release methods, Tui Na & Shiatsu
- Stress management: mindfulness techniques, meditations, breathwork, and Tapping (Emotional Freedom Technique)
- Heat/cold therapies specific to your condition
WHAT IS TELEHEALTH?
Telehealth enables us to offer affordable personalized integrative medicine: a medicine that can help you understand how to optimize your immune system, reduce inflammation, and move you forward to your health goals.
Telehealth means your visit and care with Gururas Khalsa, AP, DOM, are done using technology, like your phone and videoconferencing tools.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
We use Jane’s video technology for consultations with our patients. Jane is HIPPA Complaint, safe, and secure. Jane offers our patients encrypted technology for video chat from your phone or computer with our doctor.
- Book your appointment using our online scheduling system or by calling the office (813) 237-8920.
- Once you book your Telemedicine appointment, you’ll receive an email with your meeting link. You can click that link to open the meeting with Gururas when you meet. Note: Be sure to use a phone with a camera, or a computer with a camera to enable the physician to see you!
WHAT CONDITIONS CAN BE ADDRESSED USING TELEHEALTH?
- Pain: chronic & acute pain from injury or disease
- Recovery from illness
- Calming anxiety and stress management
- Immune balance support and wellness
- Improving sleep, and energy
- Hormone management
- Women’s health: fertility, pregnancy, menstrual concerns & menopause
- Digestive concerns
- Discuss labs and return office visits
Often times during a telehealth session, Dr. Gururas can diagnose and treat your condition based on her interview with you and the visual signs of your illness. Sometimes, however, a virtual visit becomes a triage tool that enables us to direct you to a particular course of action: like heading to an outpatient X-ray facility or laboratory, proceeding to an urgent care center, or going to an emergency room. Triage is essential to enable you to help you get the care you need.
WHAT ARE YOUR TELEHEALTH OFFERINGS?
Initial Appointments: In this 30 minutes consultation, we will diagnose through a detailed in-depth review of your health history and blood work (where applicable) and discussion. We then treat with custom herbal formulas, nutritional supplement prescriptions (all available for purchase online or safe pick up at the clinic), order lab work, if applicable, and provide dietary recommendations.
30-Minute Virtual Telehealth Consultation with Clinical Director, Gururas Khalsa, AP: This is a consultation with existing patients, via videoconferencing, to review and evaluate of your current treatment progress. Gururas will do an in-depth review of your progress both before your appointment and during a discussion, and then give an updated treatment plan with recommendations for custom herbal formulas, nutritional supplements, lab work, food, and lifestyle. To remain an active SHCA patient, at minimum you will need an annual consult.
Why Regular Follow-ups Are Needed
Typically, only a one- to two-week supply of Chinese herbs is given at a time. Chinese herbs work relatively quickly and are shifting the body’s physiology and constitution. When the body changes, the treatment plan changes – and thus the herbal formula may require tweaking or may switch to a completely different formula altogether. Once your health stabilizes appointments are spaced further apart.
We are committed to extending the power of personalized integrative medicine to our community. More about our fees
30-minute sessions are $50
Our telehealth service is not a substitute for biomedical care nor the sole diagnosis, treatment or management of COVID-19. Continuing with our mission, we are here to provide evidence-based, integrative health care, and support our community in getting the care you need and deserve.